I don’t know why, but as a girl I never really cared much for fall. I didn’t like the colors brown, red or orange and I wasn’t crazy about mums, either. I didn’t understand why people wanted to put dead corn on their porches to decorate with. Everything changed after Mark and I got married in the fall. The changing color of the leaves was a sign of our coming wedding and every year they continue to remind me of the joyful excitement so many years ago. Now fall is one of my favorite seasons to plan outfits and accessories for because I love the colors!
I am a country girl at heart. I love denim in any form. Most of the shirts in my closet areplaid and my favorite shoes are my cowboy boots. Fall colors could tend to be drab, though, unless you accessorize or wear them with the right things. Here are a few of my favorite ways to dress up a fall wardrobe.
How To Dress up a Fall Wardrobe
- Vests – These great for wearing with solid color shirts that just need a little something for added color. My denim one gets the most use since it is the most versatile.
- Wide Belts – These are so handy in adding some dimension to a solid color top! They are also helpful for wearing with a blouse that is loose and you want to add a more fitted look to. I have a brown belt for wearing with patterned shirts and an off white one that I tend to put with solid colors.
- Boot Socks – I discovered how much I like these last fall. One of my favorite ways to accessorize a knee – length skirt (and to make it warm enough for cool days) is to wear it with fleece lined tights and boot socks. (An added benefit is that they look great with my cowboy boots!)
- Scarves – A contrasting color scarf can completely change the look of a less than colorful outfit! They are usually my ‘ go-to ‘ answer whenever I look in the mirror and thing that I need a little something more.
- Coordinating Jewelry and Makeup – For a final touch in making your outfit really tie together, choose some eye shadow or nail polish that matches your color scheme. Maurice’s, my favorite clothing store, sells jewelry that coordinates with most of their shirts and they are reasonably priced. Most of my fall clothes tend to be in the same color families, so I have 2 or 3 necklaces (for fall) and they will match almost everything. I even have hair accessories that match most of my jewelry and outfits.
I admit it – I am a little crazy with my accessories! They make me feel so much more put together and believe me – being a mom of 8 I need that!