by Allison Hagen
Confession: I wash my face in honey. And it’s absolutely A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
I think quite literally from the time I was 13 years old, I’ve been trying to find a skincare regimen that fits these criteria:
- isn’t too expensive.
- is relatively easy.
- actually works.
Fast forward to now. At 28, oh my have I almost given up! Over the years, I have tried literally every system imaginable that didn’t cost an arm and a leg to obtain on my skin. Murad. Proactiv. Store brands. Combinations. Water only. Oil and hot, hot steam– I tried them all.
But…my face kept getting worse, then better, then worse, then steadily worse. Nothing has worked, even if I used it for months on end to ‘give it time to work’. It’s been one of the biggest frustrations of my life to date.
All every girl wants is beautiful skin. It shouldn’t be so hard to achieve, right? Apparently so.
But I think I’m on to something. After a long while of not wanting to say anything for fear of it back firing again, I think I can finally say I’ve found something that I not only LOVE , but actually WORKS.
It’s called Honey on the Face.
Yes really! Honey!
(Ok, and a few other products, which I’ll talk about in another post. But this is about the honey.)
I certainly do not have perfect, absolutely blemish free skin. But let’s face it: unless you are one of those lucky few who are born with perfect skin,without the money of a movie star, none of us will probably have completely blemish free skin. But for months now my skin has been dramatically better than I have ever experienced. Plus? The honey actually works to reverse skin scarring and marks over time. I think that’s pretty awesome.
So…Is it weird to put honey all over your face? Yes. Yes, I guess it is. But you just won’t know how it’ll work for you until you try it yourself!
How my Honey Regime Works
- After cleaning your hands, squirt or spoon a dollop of raw or organic honey on your fingertips.
- Rub hands together and work into your face with both hands in a circular motion.
- Massage into your face for at least a minute, working it all over very well. (Bonus: The face massage feels great!)
- Rinse hands with warm water. Unless you need sticky fingers for something…
- Leave the honey on your face for at least 5-10 minutes if possible. I usually do other things while it’s sitting on my face. If you’re in a hurry, that’s ok, but I’ve even left it for 20 minutes and I say the more time the better. If you start to feel it melting off or getting itchy all over your face, it’s been on too long. 😉
- When you’re ready, simply rinse it off with warm-to-hot water.
- Gently dry your face with a clean towel by gently pressing the towel against your face, not scrubbing it up and down.
- Proceed with your beauty routine!
It may take a few weeks or maybe even a couple months before you notice any big differences. But my skin looks and feels so much better now. I use a few other products on my face, and you can certainly combine the honey with your favorite skin care products if you like. But putting honey on my face is one of the best things I’ve done. It’s eased my acne and made my skin feel and look beautiful!
Ready to try it out?
Buy your honey raw and locally if you can. You’re not only getting a better product but supporting local farming as well! Then, come back and tell us how honey works for your skin!
About the Author
Allison Filkins Hagen is a newlywed Texan transplant and in her spare time writes and edits. She loves to put together crazy outfits that she is positive will be a new trend one day. She is the author of the young adult fiction novel, The Amazings, and may someday actually finish the sequel. She also loves rock climbing, soccer, kayaking and watching old movies.